Periodontal gum disease begins when plaque buildup in our mouths goes untreated. Unhealthy bacteria in the plaque begin to eat away at the tissues surrounding the teeth. If the mild form of gum disease, called gingivitis, goes untreated the gums will no longer be strong enough to hold the teeth in place, and tooth loss will occur. It is important to speak with your dentists at regularly to ensure you are doing everything you can to fight back. You are also at a greater risk for gum disease based on a variety of factors, including:
– Hormones: As hormones change in women and young girls, it increases the chances for gingivitis to develop, which can lead to more serious types of gum disease.
– Genetics: Genetics play a huge role in the development of gum disease. Genetics can make individuals up to six times more likely to have symptoms of the disease.
– Poor Diet: Lack of proper nutrition can increase your risk of gum disease.
– Diabetes: Diabetes increases the risk for many infectious diseases, including gum disease.
– Medications: Many medications produce a side effect of dry mouth symptoms. The lack of saliva in a person’s mouth makes them more susceptible to gum disease.
– Chewing Tobacco: Tobacco increases the risk of gum disease.
– Smoking: Smoking is considered by many dentists as one of the most significant risk factors for gum disease. Smoking also decreases treatment success rates.
Periodontal gum disease can be prevented with healthy oral hygiene habits. If you wish to come in for an oral exam, please make an appointment with Dr. Purvesh Malaviya by contacting our fantastic dental team at Creative Dental Group at 508-990-9900. You can also stop by our office in New Bedford, Massachusetts. Take the time to protect your teeth today!