Have you ever wondered about what activities and habits in your life you may be doing that can contribute to poor oral hygiene and hazardous oral ailments? The truth is, almost everything you put in your mouth can affect your smile in some form or another. In addition, most changes in the health of your body will also affect changes in your mouth. One of the most common forms of diseases that can affect your smile is gum disease.
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an infection of your gums. Listed below are few the risk factors for gum disease:
– Hormonal changes in your body, especially for women and young girls
– Genetic predispositions
– Bad habits such as smoking, drug use, end chewing tobacco
– Taking medications that can contribute to dry mouth, which is a known risk factor for gum disease
– A poor diet that is high in sugars and acidic foods and drinks
– Poor cleaning habits such as a failure to brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once per day
– A lack of visits to your dentist for routine checkups and professional cleanings
– Significant changes in your day-to-day life, including pregnancies
If you are looking to restore your smile with gum disease treatments, contact Dr. Purvesh Malaviya and our team at Creative Dental Group. Contact us by calling 508-990-9900 to set up a reservation to see us at our office in New Bedford, Massachusetts.